Welcome to the City of Green Lake, Wisconsin
(A historic resort community and a great place to call home)
The waters of Green Lake attracted the first settlers to this East Central Wisconsin area. Green Lake has 27 miles of shoreline. With a depth of 230+ feet, the lake is the deepest inland lake in Wisconsin. In 1847, the Village of Dartford, now the City of Green Lake was platted on the outlet of this majestic body of water. By the 1860’s visitors from around the Midwest discovered the area as a refreshing resort community. By the 1890’s fishing, golfing and sailing were already well established in this small community, and continue today. Today an active chamber of commerce provides visitors with information on the many recreational opportunities available.
While the City of Green Lake continues to be a destination for visitors seeking a peaceful refuge, it has continued to serve as a restful home for its 1100 residents. The City’s park system provides access to the water at boat ramps, a swimming beach, and a public campground.
The City of Green Lake is the County seat for Green Lake County. The 1899 County Court House designed by famous architect William Waters, is one of three structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the City. The 1938 Green Lake Village Hall listed on the Register continues to serve as the City’s community and government center. The third structure is the 1910 Thrasher Opera House.
Educational opportunities in the City include the Green Lake School System, Caestecker Public Library and the Dartford Historical Society.